The star u gave me..
E

S

2

0

0

7

S

Sunday, September 28, 2008
sun set at 1:03 AM

Rubbish Trouble

Thanks to the "green" project, I was able to recall several minor yet embarrassing incidences I had when I backpacked with my friends in a few countries.

First encounter: Japan.

Japan is a beautiful country; Beautiful sceneries, beautiful people and beautiful streets. Those were my first few impressions when I arrived at Narita Airport the very first time. However I will soon learn that maintaining Japan’s “beautifulness” in terms of its cleanliness is more than troublesome. I and two other friends arrived in Kyoto as the first stop to meet up with another Singaporean friend who had been working in Japan for the past one and a half year. We were warmly welcomed by his landlady when we entered their traditional looking “mansion”. (Yes, it was like walking into a samurai anime.)

That night, we had a little party in his room eating chips and drinking a few cans of beer. After that, in a “Singaporean style” I placed all our garbage into one plastic bag, tie it up and placed it at one corner of the room. My friend, after seeing what I did, told me to quickly pass him the garbage. He then pulled out a few slightly filled trash bags and started taking out all its contents. My two other friends then gathered around and asked him what he was doing. That was when he started explaining: “In Japan, people are very conscious about their garbage and they are always sorted neatly into different categories according to a refuse disposal guidebook given by the government. When I first came here, I did what you did too and never knew what I did wrong for a few months until I met my neighbour while clearing out rubbish one day.” He continued as he sorted our beer cans and chip packages, “She told me it was plastic collection day and why I was throwing out milk cartons. I was lost. She then continued “So you are the culprit that made the landlady sort your garbage every time haha”. It was only then that I learn that throwing out garbage was so troublesome here. Only on designated days designated garbage will be picked up and disposed off, and the worst part is that Japanese will never point out your mistakes as it is considered rude for them. I can only learn after making this mistake for a few months. No wonder every time I bring out my garbage in this semi translucent plastic bag, I was always closely watched by the others. It was so embarrassing.”

After his explanation, he even showed me the mini booklet of the garbage categories, ranging from combustibles to recyclables. I can imagine that if he were not there with me, I would have handed the mixed garbage to the landlady and never know what was wrong while she sorted my mistake quietly after I leave. I was so impressed by how the Japanese deal with the troublesome garbage disposal sorting (Singaporeans could not even handle three categories of garbage haha), but yet at the same time disapprove of their over “politeness” in not pointing out mistakes. I feel that if I were to really learn about their culture, it will take me a long time if I were to learn them outside books.

Second encounter: New Zealand

Similar to the above incident, I came to New Zealand some time later in the future. New Zealand is also a very eco friendly country and all their citizens are very careful with their garbage too. In their homes, they have a place for grinding biodegradable garbage which is connected to a chute sending the ground garbage to a collection container for making fertilizers.

This time I was on board a ship cruising out to sight see. An adult in his late 40s soon caught my eye. After drinking his can drink, he flattened it with his heels and placed the flattened can in his pocket and tied the straw on his waist belt. I felt a little surprised, but after seeing a few more of such case, I decided to walk up to the man to cure my curiosity. “Hello sir! Great day today isn’t it? May I ask, why do you keep the flattened can and the straw? Can you change it for something later on?” He gave me a puzzled look but soon caught on my friendliness as he smiled and answered “Why, it is for disposing them off later on of course.” Not knowing what he really meant and not wishing to disturb him further I spoke a few more unrelated sentences with him and ended our conversation. My answer only came when the ship docked and I saw him walked towards a recycling bin, removed the straws on his belt and cans in his pocket, and throw them respectively into the correct sections. It was only then that I realised my question was such a stupid question, but the man still answered my question warmly which I was very grateful. I feel that if the New Zealanders were to come to Malaysia (especially my hometown) it will be a bad shock to see Citizens dumping waste into rivers at the back of their homes.


6 Comments:

Blogger Tiffany said...

Hey Jun Rong,

I was smiling when reading your entry. The Japan example is exactly what Brad needs at his condo! And not only that, I think every household should do the same although it might be hard to initiate this and for people to follow. Very interesting! I didn't know Japan had this culture of sorting their rubbish!

September 28, 2008 at 11:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yoyo Jun Rong!

Pardon my ignorance, but I didn't know so many countries have this practice of sorting rubbish! Seems like Singapore is lagging behind in this green aspect huh? One question: Will Singaporeans be as receptive towards this idea. Haha. Good idea for the "green" project! =)

Hmmm.. and maybe it's a good point for us when we travel, to do abit of background information on our destination? This allows us to know and understand the culture(s) of the place, and perhaps signal us to act differently and do differently? =)

September 29, 2008 at 4:07 AM  
Blogger Angeline said...

Hi Jun Rong,

Yeps, I agree that Singapore is indeed "backward" in the green aspect as I observed the same scenerio when I was in Taiwan. While I was in Taipei, I was staying at the apartment of my friend's cousin. So the first day we reached there, (of course there's rubbish that we wanted to clear) we started to pack all the garbage into one bag, as usual to what we would do in Singapore. And, to our surprise, my friend's cousin said that the garbage had to be categorised if not the apartment-holders would be fined. I believe, to many Singaporeans, we never realise how lagging behind we are in this whole saving-the-Earth issue and now it has even become a cultural difference! We should be kind of ashamed at ourselves for not being as culturally-green as the other countries, don't you think so?

September 29, 2008 at 9:15 AM  
Blogger Junrong said...

To tiffany,

Yes, I was very amazed myself especially for Japan because my friends did tell me that if you bring out the wrong type of rubbish during the rubbish collection day, your rubbish will not be collected and at times the town council people will even send the garbage back to you haha. I do hope that Singapore households can start to initiate this practice, but we have to go past the biggest hurdle to do things right in Singapore: complains.

To Xinyi,

Haha you are not alone when it comes to ignorance...I didnt know myself either UNTIL I was there haha! And yes, it did gave me the lesson of researching for a country's culture (other than places to shop and eat) before travelling there :) As to Singaporeans' receptivity..I feel its a good question (I will love to know it) but I strongly feel the initial reluctance will be a big issue :)

To Angeline,

Wow, imposing a fine showed Taiwan's determination in eco-friendliness. And yes, I feel quite ashamed as a Singaporean in Japan and NZ thinking that as long as rubbish goes to the bin will be fine. (furthermore Singapore claimed ourselves as a Clean and Green city...I think literally only yah...not the citizens haha..its always the cleaner's job..sad) I do sincerely hope that Singapore can grow to be a true green city and not only Singapore, but Singaporeans too can play a part in maintaining our environment :)

September 29, 2008 at 11:22 PM  
Blogger Brad Blackstone said...

This is a fine example of a provocative post that gets people excited! You take us all on a good tour, Jun Rong, and your astute analysis makes us think about the world you describe in critical terms.

Hey, by the way, which part of Malaysia are you from? You might have told me but at times when I'm learning so much about so many students, I get things mixed up.

Anyway, yes, the separating garbage thing is one of my obsessions. It should be done here (and in Malaysia!) with more commitment!!!

September 30, 2008 at 7:51 PM  
Blogger Junrong said...

To Brad,

Oh, my home town is near the tip of Johore called Pontian (just above the famous seafood place Kukup). It use to be a fishing village but due to industralisation, many families have moved to cities and thus fewer fishing boats are now seen docked at the back of the houses. That river is now filled with garbage of all sorts and I hve seen with my own eyes neighbours throwing durian husks into the river while children are playing in the water below. Thus I feel that if Japanese or New Zealanders were to see the scene, they will definitely be given a rude shock.

October 10, 2008 at 12:00 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home